Thursday, November 3, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Our Halloween was awesome! The best we've had in the last few years. Mom & Dad went to a few parties. The boys went trick or treating! Our neighbor barely celebrates, so we went to one that did with our friends. The boys made a killing. This was only half of our loot. There's another bowl of chips, pretzels & drinks that they received too.
We carved our pumpkin earlier that day. Last year, the boys were scared of the insides. This year, they thought it was kinda neat. They have some sensory issues, so pumpkin guts are a little scary. I had them help pull out the seeds & shovel the insides out.
I tried to carve a tiki face (you can read about our goal to move to Hawaii on my other blog Pittsburgh-to-Hilo). I probably should have smushed his face and added another below it, cuz he turned out kinda like a Mexican wrestling ape. Still kinda cool!
I made sweet & spicy pumpkin seeds and pumpkin pie. I had this recipe for a while, I can't remember who the author was, but I'll share it.

1 cup seeds (from medium pumpkin)           
2 + 3 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
pinch cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tbsp peanut oil

Bake seeds in oven at 250 for 1 hour on parchment until dry, stirring occasionally. Let cool. Mix spices in bowl. Heat peanut oil in large skillet over high heat. Add 2 tbsp sugar and seeds. Cool until sugar melts and seeds begin to caramelize, about 45-60 seconds. Transfer to bowl with spices. Coat. Let cool. Store for 1 week.
 * I want to try this minus the cumin, but add more cayenne pepper next time.

I followed the pumpkin pie recipe on the can of pumpkin (I've never used pumpkin guts, which is weird). Instead of evaporated milk (I didn't have any), I used 1 can sweetened condensed milk (minus a couple of tablespoons). I also added cloves. I could pretty much make a clove pie if you let me. The pie was awesome. I used a basic butter crust recipe (1 cup flour, 6 tbsp butter, 3 tbsp ice water). I know, it's funny. I buy canned pumpkin, but I think I'm the last person on Earth who enjoys making pie crust from scratch.

All in all, a fantastic Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment