Monday, January 23, 2012

Chinese New Year + Reading List

Today marks the beginning of the year of the dragon. For Chinese New Years, we made this craft.
Here is where you can download the template... http://www.craftjr.com/dragon-paper-craft.

Here's what we've been reading lately.
 Reptile Babies- 6 cute reptiles are introduced to young ones. K pointed out the spiders and bugs on each page.
101 Dalmations- We had 3 versions of this, and I weeded them to end up keeping this one. It's truer to the movie.
Alice in Wonderland Meets the White Rabbit- Kinda jumps around a bit, includes the Jaberwock, but Mom loves it!
Blue Moose- 5 stories in 1. The boys, especially K, thought it was silly, and liked reading more about the silly moose.
The Three Billy Goats Gruff- The troll was kinda creepy in this book. Luckily, my kids don't frighten too easily.
 Timmy Tiger and the Butterfly Net- The boys were worried about the bees in this book, as we've been learning about bees making honey.
My Favorite Book, Lessons to Grow on- I got that my kids don't understand metaphors from this book
Pinocchio- A classic. The boys don't get into Disney too much, unless it's Mickey
Hop on Pop- The boys are beginning to read, so this is great
 The Big Blue Book of Beginner Books (featuring Go, Dog. Go!; It's Not Easy Being a Bunny; Are You My Mother?; The Best Nest; Put Me in the Zoo; A Fly Went By)- easy to read books similiar to the style of Dr. Seuss. Go, Dog. Go! is easy to read like Hop on Pop (above)
Fluffy's Valentine's Day- 3 stories in 1. The boys liked how this book makes it easy to get into character while reading.
The Friendly Bunny- Cute! Teaches kids to be nice and share
People At Work- We tried to decide what the boys would like to do for a living, they pretty much said everything in this book! So cute!
 Glow in the Dark Mother Goose- 18 classic nursery rhymes. We read this in the dark with a flashlight, they thought it was cool how every other page glowed.
A Little Flush- no real plot line, just animals on the potty, and the last page has a button to push for a flush sound. That was the boys favorite part, of course.
Stevie's Tricycle- I had to laugh. This book used to be my husbands, and I can see why his mother got it for him. Stevie looks exactly like my husband did at that age. So I had some laughs. But it taught the boys the responsibility of taking care of their things.
The Little Mermaid- A classic, but a few too many character elements for 3-year-olds to keep straight.
Best Little Word Book Ever- We love Richard Scarry! this book is helping the boys to read
Katy No-Pocket- A classic! The boys loved it
The Valentine Bears- Adorable, even from 1983. Teaches you to love and do nice things for each other.

(no images)
The Several Tricks of Edgar Dolphin- One of my husband's books growing up, it's cute. The boys enjoyed it.
Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Patch- Can you plant a honey pot and grow honey? The boys found out!

Mom finished reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I think the final book was my favorite in the series. I was cheering by the end. I was also surprised about a tiny variation at the end from the Swedish movie and the book. Will book 4 ever happen? I'm going to catch up on chemistry and magazines for a bit before beginning another book next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment