Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New Years Reading List

We hope everybody had a great New Years! We've been trying to clear out some duplicates of books that we have, so we can make room for more. Call it spring cleaning, but in January. I'm going to start adding small reviews of books when I post them here- just a quick synopsis and what we thought of it. We've been busy reading over the last 2 weeks!

 A to Z: Cute alphabet " Aardvark Admiring, Beavers Ballooning" and so on. Keeps the boys attention
Blue Train, Green Train: I swear I have to read this all the time, the boys adore it. Thomas delivers during the day, Percy at night, with Seuss rhyming.
Corduroy's Day: 1-10 with the loveable bear. They like it
Counting: 1-10 with farm animals. We like to add the sounds each animal makes
Oh, Bother! Someone Won't Share: (not pictured) Winnie the Pooh & friends teach Rabbit to share. I love this series of Pooh books.
 The Foot Book: the boys love the rhymes. Dr. Seuss
I Can Go Potty: Kermit learns to go potty. The boys are mastering potty training, but they still like this book
Sounds of the Wild, Jungle: A cool pop-up and sound book. The boys were totally into the animal sounds. Requires batteries.
 Kartusch: A folksy little book about a blind snake who teaches the Furry Eyefulls about slowing down and using your other senses. Very cute, not sure if the boys understood it though
Big Red Kite: Berenstain Bears with a Dr. Seuss rhyme about a kite contest. K liked all the kites in it
Kittens and More Kittens: Our copy is from 1967, binding is barely holding up. Very cute story with old Pink Panther-esque drawings. But the end made me laugh how they all ended up with a crazy old cat lady haha
Ten Little Monkeys: L's favorite. It's the song, but in book form
 The Noisiest Night: It's about guessing the jungle animals. Short enough to hold their interest
Oozey Octopus: This is a cute folksy book in a whole series about aquatic life. I'd like to get some of the others in the series
Pano the Train: Cute book about a train that lost it's caboose. The boys love anything trains!
The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy: Adorable. All he wants is a boy for Christmas. They loved it.
A Day in the Park: A book about opposites. They could understand what was going on
Potty Book: same as Kermit, but with Fuzzy Bear
My Teacher Sleeps in School: I always ask them if their teacher sleeps in school, K loves anything silly
Where the Wild Things Are: Need I say more?
 123 Sesame Street: Cute tour of Bert and Ernie's apartment. Short and sweet
Tuko and the Birds: it's a little mature for the twins, and the birds were kinda mean to Tuko.
My W Book: helps you learn W Words. Cute.
Disney Year Book 1999: I know, it's old. But there's a bunch of stories in it so it's not totally dated. There's history on the California Gold Rush; animal, ocean and other random facts; stories about Mulan, Peter Pan, The Lion King, and Mickey and Minnie Mouse.
Our library books this week included:
Olivia, Olivia and the Missing Toy, Olivia Forms a Band: The boys love Olivia, they love the show, they sing the theme song. The former 2 books kinda jumped around, but I don't think the boys minded
Bunny Party: It's always funny how prissy Ruby is, then Max kinda puts her in her place, and Grandma always seems to side with Max. The boys like the show a lot.

Mom finished reading The Girl Who Played with Fire & The Fall. They're both the second books in trilogies. I love the Millennium Trilogy, that goes without saying. I was also surprised with the newest movie. I was a big fan of the Swedish movies, but I loved Rooney Mara. I didn't think you could make a better movie than the one that was already made, but I was surprised- I liked it better. The Strain Trilogy has my interest now. Book one was pretty good. I didn't know what to expect from book two, just that things would play out. But the end surprised me, a lot. I can't wait to start The Night Eternal. I'm currently reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.
I'm also tackling more chemistry. I plan on (eventually) getting my masters in geology. I need to take chem 1 and 2, plus a chem lab for my undergrad. College is still a ways off for me. I plan on going to UH for my BS, but need to become a resident of Hawaii first. That's going to require a couple of years saving money. So I plan to study in the mean time, that way I know what I'm doing when I get there. Plus, it's at my own pace now. I want to brush up on physics and geometry/trigonometry/calculus too. Yes, mom's a smarty, if you ever doubted it! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment