Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Happy 4th Birthday!

Four years ago, I was miserable and huge, pregnant with twins. It was summer, we had no AC in the car, and September marked "bed rest." I made the mistake of going to a Labor Day party. Sitting in the hot sun when you're in your last trimester is pretty awful. The boys were due October 13. They came September 19. I thought they might have been early, but I wasn't anticipating the day they actually did come. I had to have an emergency c-section. I was in the hospital for a rash. Turns out, my water had broken at some point and I was having "serious contractions" which I never noticed. You don't notice much else when you have 50 pounds of extra weight all centered in your belly (I had actually lost weight everywhere else). The boys were both breech. K was supposed to be first, but they somehow got L first, who was on top. How does a mother know this? L had the hiccups most of my pregnancy and guess which baby had them after he was out. They were 2 minutes apart. K was born with pnemonia and spent a total of 8 days in the NICU. L came home with me after recovery. They were 5 lbs 8 oz & 4 lbs 7 oz. K ended up needing a lot of physical and speech therapy and was diagnosed spastic. You'd never know now. L needed some developmental/behavioral therapy and was diagnosed with sensory processing disorder, the mildest form on the autism spectrum. We still struggle with that at times, and probably always will.

This month, they're 4. Today was their first day of Head Start. K's favorite part was sleeping during nap time. L enjoyed the interaction, and he also apparently ate some orange rind too. Not sure if that's better than the crab apple he ate this summer.

We celebrate their birthday this month. (notice the balloons?)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment