Monday, December 17, 2012

Sandy Hook

My love and condolences go out to the families of those affected by the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary. I have young children. For every 1 bad guy they learn about, I plan to teach them about 3 heroes. I hug them often, but you can't prevent evil from happening. All you can do is teach them not act on evil.
But one thing is really bothering me about it. This should not be a gun control issue. The shooter did not own or purchase the guns he used to carry out this awful act. He killed and stole them from the owner. This should be a mental health issue. We need to address the mentally ill. There are literally NO options for them to receive help. All you can do is keep alerting the police and keep a record, but that does NOTHING for prevention. My mom is mentally ill. I've had police involved with her before. Will that keep her from getting off her meds and doing things again? NO. Would a state run facility be able to take care of her? YES. Does my state have any facilities? ONE. Is their facility overwhelmed and understaffed? YES. What happens when I try to send my mom away for help? She comes back 1 day later.
So what can you do? Press your local governments to fund mental health programs and facilities. As for gun control.. The only thing that will stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. Gun laws will only create more criminals. The US already has more citizens in jails than any other country in the world. And those aren't safe either.. they're just full of the mentally ill because they have no where else to go for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment